What a Layoff Taught Me About Data, Growth, and Resilience


Last week, I experienced something I never expected so early in my career, I was laid off due to budget cuts and declining enrollment at the university where I worked. Like many professionals, my first reaction was disappointment. However, after taking some time to reflect, I realized that this experience taught me valuable lessons not only about my career, but also about resilience, growth, and the impact of data.

I worked as a CRM Analyst at Governors State University, where I supported enrollment management initiatives through data analysis, reporting, CRM administration, and process improvement. Every day brought new challenges, and every challenge taught me something new.

1. Data Is More Than Numbers

When people think about data, they often think about spreadsheets, databases, and reports. What I learned is that data represents real people making real decisions.

In higher education, every application, inquiry, and enrollment record tells a story. The reports I created helped admissions teams understand student behavior, identify trends, and make informed decisions that could directly impact a student's future.

Understanding the "why" behind the numbers became just as important as understanding the numbers themselves.

2. Data Quality Is Everything

One of the most important parts of my role involved identifying and resolving duplicate records, validating data, and ensuring information remained accurate across systems.

A dashboard is only as reliable as the data behind it.

I learned that small data issues can create large business problems. Whether it was duplicate student records, missing information, or reporting discrepancies, maintaining data integrity was critical for making confident decisions.

This experience strengthened my analytical thinking and attention to detail.

3. Great Analytics Requires Collaboration

One misconception about data professionals is that we work alone all day.

In reality, some of my most successful projects came from collaborating with admissions counselors, directors, academic departments, and university leadership.

I spent time understanding stakeholder needs, translating business questions into data solutions, and communicating findings in a way that was meaningful to non-technical audiences.

The ability to bridge the gap between data and people is one of the most valuable skills I developed.

4. Continuous Learning Is Non-Negotiable

Throughout my career, I have worked with SQL, Tableau, Power BI, CRM platforms, Microsoft Fabric, Azure Data Lake, and various reporting tools.

Technology evolves quickly, and staying relevant requires continuous learning.

Every project became an opportunity to improve my technical skills, learn new tools, and discover better ways to solve problems. This mindset has helped me remain adaptable in an ever-changing field.

5. Resilience Is a Career Skill

While losing a job is never easy, it reminded me that careers are not defined by a single position.

The experience reinforced my confidence in the skills I have built, the relationships I have developed, and the value I can bring to future organizations.

Instead of viewing this transition as an ending, I have chosen to view it as a new beginning—an opportunity to explore new challenges, expand my expertise, and continue growing as a data professional.

Looking Ahead

As I continue my job search, I remain grateful for the experiences, colleagues, mentors, and opportunities that shaped my journey at Governors State University.

To anyone currently navigating career uncertainty: keep learning, keep building, and keep believing in your abilities. Sometimes the most unexpected transitions create the greatest opportunities.

Thank you for reading and being part of my journey.

By Annes Jebasingh Jebamony

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem of poverty-Abraham Kuyper by Annes Jebasingh